Alumina or aluminum oxide (Al2O3) in its various levels of purity is used more often than any other advanced ceramic material. CeramTec offers a wide range of material types with different property profiles that can be adjusted via a targeted matrix design.
There are both coarse and fine-grained varieties. Examples of applications for aluminum oxide Al2O3 advanced ceramics are heavy-duty forming tools, substrates and resistor cores in the electronics industry, tiles for wear protection and ballistics, thread guides in textile engineering, seal and regulator discs for water taps and valves, heat-sinks for lighting systems, protection tubes in thermal processes or catalyst carriers for the chemicals industry.
- Very good electrical insulation (1x1014 to 1x1015 Ωcm)
- Moderate to extremely high mechanical strength (300 to 630 MPa)
- Very high compressive strength (2,000 to 4,000 MPa)
- High hardness (15 to 19 GPa)
- Moderate thermal conductivity (20 to 30 W/mK)
- High corrosion and wear resistance
- Good gliding properties
- Low density (3.75 to 3.95 g/cm3)
- Operating temperature without mechanical load 1,000 to 1,500°C.
- Bioinert and food compatible