There are both coarse and fine-grained varieties.
Aluminium oxide (Al2O3) is used in the following areas, among others: Heavy-duty forming tools, substrates and resistor cores in the electronics industry, tiles for wear protection, thread guides in textile engineering, seal and regulator discs for water taps and valves, heat-sinks, protection tubes in thermal processes or catalyst carriers for the chemicals industry.
- Very good electrical insulation (1x1014 to 1x1015 Ωcm)
- Moderate to extremely high mechanical strength (300 to 630 MPa)
- Very high compressive strength (2,000 to 4,000 MPa)
- High hardness (15 to 19 GPa)
- Moderate thermal conductivity (20 to 30 W/mK)
- High corrosion and wear resistance
- Good gliding properties
- Low density (3.75 to 3.95 g/cm3)
- Operating temperature without mechanical load 1,000 to 1,500°C.
- Bioinert and food compatible